World Cup Quarter Finals



What an entertaining weekend of football. I couldn't concentrate on work as Brazil lost their cool and then the match to the Netherlands.

Robinho arguing with the Netherlands' Mark van Bommel.

Credit: Paulo Whitaker/Reuters

I then went on a shoot and missed most of the Ghana/Uruguay game, but managed to catch the last 20 minutes of full time that then turned into a fantastic fight to the finish that Ghana deserved to win but couldn't quite grasp (unlike Uruguay's Suárez who managed to grab victory firmly with both hands).


Credit: Ivan Sekretarev/Associated Press


Big thanks to Shiori for joining me at the bar for that one and also to the drunk Americans who spilled their beer on me and then bent my ear with their opinions about 'soccer' for a while. Bought me a drink so I'll forgive them. Besides, football, noisy bar, spilled beer...I almost felt like I was back in the UK..

The real question however, is who can beat Germany..

Not offside Argentinians for sure.

Tevez, Higuain and Messi were all offside by a good yard or two when Mascherano played the ball through. Photograph: Pierre-Philippe Marcou/AFP/Getty Images

Maybe the overeager Spanish?

Xabi Alonso slots a penalty to the keeper's right and into the net, but Spain's celebrations are cut short as his penalty has to be taken again because some of the Spanish players had encroached the penalty area

Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images



Or will it be the determined Dutch, currently putting a lackluster Uruguay out of the cup?


Dylan Martinez/Reuters

No comments: