Rape of a Nation

This morning I read a report by Human Rights Watch on the Makombo massacre. Yet again, I read something about the Congo and wonder how human beings can do this to each other and how it is that this conflict is allowed to continue. I've been meaning to write about Marcus Bleasdale's 'Rape of a Nation' Book for a few months now, but can never seem to collect my thoughts enough to put into words what I feel whenever I look through it's pages.

It's incredible to me that this vicious conflict is not given the attention it deserves. Imagine if the U.S. intervened in the Congo with the same enthusiasm they did in Iraq, certainly the rhetoric for liberating the people from oppression would have more credibility were it applied to the problems in this part of the globe.

I commend Marcus Bleasdale for his work in trying to get the problems of the Congo onto the agenda of the governments and organisations of the world and his support of organisations working in the area. Check out his introduction to the work he has done over on Mediastorm where you will also find links to organisations you can support in relation to the issues.

1 comment:

petebrook said...

Tom

I know how you feel about being too overwhelmed to make a succinct statement about deep work a la Bleasdale. I have the same stumbling approach to many photographers' works!

Also when you put Iraq up against Congo in the theoretical context of US military intervention it says to me even louder that Iraq was simply a tactical diversion and all about engaging the region.

As we saw with Rwanda, although the US was not the only guilty inactive party, Africa is held to different standards of human rights.

Congo would've been be a legitimate engagement if the US wasn't fighting its ideological battles and bankrupting its kids.

If you really want to get depressed, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mApBa2qKVDM