Curse of the Black Gold: 50 Years of Oil in the Niger Delta

For some odd reason, Nigeria keeps on cropping up in conversations I have. Two (of many) examples: A friend who recently went to Nigeria told me the other day about a petrol shortage that occurred while she was there; ridiculous as that may sound from a country sitting on oil reserves as huge as Nigeria's. Last year I met a Nigerian student at Columbia University who was studying journalism. He wanted to return to Nigeria as soon as the course finished to specifically explore the use and abuse of Nigeria's oil. I asked him if he knew of Ed Kashi's work.



Workers subcontracted by Shell to clean up an oil spill from an abandoned well. A report by Amnesty International suggests in the past 50 years at least 9m barrels worth of oil have leaked into land and rivers in the region

Photograph: Ed Kashi/Corbis

I have a copy of this remarkable book on my shelf. It is a series of photographs on an important subject. Photographer Ed Kashi is a fellow New Jersey dweller - he lives a few miles over from me in the next town, he once said some positive things about some of my photographs, I've never heard a bad word said against him and I could reel off several more reasons why you should check out the book and if you are in London head over to the Host gallery to see the prints and attend the related events, but suffice it to say that I encourage you to check it out and will refrain from wittering on about economics, the environment, human greed and oppression for the moment....




So, about that fuel shortage then....

No comments: