Stop and Search

In a couple of weeks I will be spending some time in the U.K. I will be taking photographs. I might be threatened with arrest. Nothing new there. I have been confronted by Police officers in the U.S. and the U.K. and had the anti terrorism laws of both countries cited to me. So it helps to read in the British newspaper 'The Independent' that recent legislation that has been used to harass everyone from professional photographers to tourists taking snapshots is being clarified by no less than Craig Mackey, who speaks for the Association of Chief Police Officers. He states in this article that: "It goes back to the issue of briefing and training of staff and making sure they are clear around the legislation we are asking them to use. There is no power under Section 44 to stop people taking photographs and we are very clear about getting that message out to forces."

Let's hope the message gets through, because it's been a long time coming. For more on this see this earlier post..


1 comment:

NK said...

don't get hurt. I once got hit by a bottle that someone threw to the protesters from where police forces were.