The Climate

I don't seriously see how anyone can deny the fact that human activity in this industrial and electronic age is having a dramatic effect on our environment and is a major (actually THE major) cause of the climate changes and associated problems we are witnessing today. You know what I'm taking about; rising sea levels, shrinking ice caps, holes in the ozone layer, deforestation, desertification, pollution, despoilment, destructive mining, species extinction, CO2 production, resource consumption, greed, overproduction, unequal distribution, migration, disrupted weather patterns, earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, drought, floods, population explosion, the poverty gap, war, pestilence, famine, death....

Cheery stuff right? Maybe that's why some people won't or can't admit that it's their (our fault). I'm as guilty as anyone. I consume too much. Buy things I don't need. Waste water. You name it. I just hope - still hope - it's not too late for us to slow down and reverse the effects. That's what our leaders are discussing this week in Copenhagen. Lots of things going on, and a lot of political hot air.

For now though, and on a photography tip - I suggest anyone interested in the issue of climate change (or as I said to a friend the other day, perhaps we should use a slightly less tame sounding term - maybe climatic apocalypse...) should check out the Consequences by Noor website and the UNDP picture this competition. For starters. Maybe after looking at those the urge to reduce, reuse and recycle, grow your own, eat seasonal, shop local, become energy efficient, demand biodegradable plastic, use solar, wind and wave, walk more, go green, live in peace and avert disaster will be stronger in you than it appears to be in our illustrious leadership.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to get some sleep before catching a flight which I haven't bothered to offset my carbon emissions for. Shame on me.


No comments: