Local History

I have a fascination with old photographs, I mean ones that were taken long before I was born. As someone who spends much of my time actively and consciously looking at the world around me I love to see how things have changed over the years. For this reason I am also interested in the narrative history of people and places. I am always curious as to how things came to be as there are and I often find out some surprising details.

Take this street in New York's Chinatown - an area I often pass through and love to photograph. It is called Doyers Street and looks much like many streets in the area, but it has a nickname - 'The Bloody Angle'


The sharp curve in this street meant it was a prime location for ambush in the wars between rival street gangs, the Chinese 'Tongs' who fought for control of this area in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. I tried to find out some more history surrounding this but short of reading a book or two on the subject (something I don't have time to do right now) I couldn't find out much more.

Here is how it looked around a hundred years ago.



I wonder what it will look like a hundred years from now.


No comments: