Trajectories - Simon Norfolk


There was a brief article in Sunday's New York Times Magazine on NASA, satellites and missiles. The piece doesn't really go into too much depth and is more like an extended caption for a series of Photographs by Simon Norfolk. I enjoy a lot of Norfolk's work, even if he sometimes falls into the artist's trap of having more ideas than his images reveal, but I think he straddles that dangerous line between art and documentary remarkably well.

This particular series of images includes long exposure photographs of rocket launches. I have to admit I am a little jealous, as at the last shuttle launch earlier this year I briefly wondered what a long exposure shot of the launch would look like and thought it would be a good thing to shoot. I can't be the first person to think that but these are the only ones I've seen, just so happens they are pretty good and it's not me who took them! Oh well. Another idea to cross off the list. It's difficult to see in this jpeg but I especially like the two figures on the beach. A nice touch that conjures up idyllic walks along the shore - while Air Force rockets blast off in the background.

3 comments:

Alice Dison said...

thank you for this.... I did see the images online at NYTimes but didnt notice who the photographer was and everyone knows I do live my Simon Norfolk.....
beautiful....

Just because he shot it doesnt mean you cant... get out there Tom

Robert Stevens said...

Have to think about these photos for awhile. Norfolk is known for going in After an event to record the consequences. This is sort of an extended, during the event. right?

Simon Norfolk said...

I agree with Alice - get out there and take some pictures. There's a great one next week in California and no two photographers could take the same picture of the launches, they're too unpredictable