The Earth

When I was younger I wanted to be an astronaut. If I had done that, I probably would now be taking photographs like this.


The universe beyond our planet still fascinates me as much as it ever did, though if I ever travelled into space the first thing I would do is look back at the earth.

When I look at a whole city in a photograph, then think of the thousands of photographs I took while living within that city my mind starts to go in all sorts of strange directions.

For people in the International Space station it must be a bizarre experience, I imagine it is akin to the feeling I get when I look out the window on a plane journey and see the land and sea passing below me. I see both chaos and calm.

It is this ariel perspective that has allowed us to see the spread of our cities, the destruction of our forests and the forces of nature on a grand scale. Truly these images - with their spacial distance - should give us perspective of thought.

Take these two images for example. Photographed less than a month apart, they show the disintegration of the Wilkins Ice Shelf on the Antarctic Peninsula.


If I have to spell out the link between these photographs and the one above of London at night then you clearly haven't been paying attention. The article this image is from can be found here.

For more well lit cities, click here.

By the way, I still want to be an astronaut.

No comments: